1.13.2009

My first red drum

I've often seen Red Drum (Sciaenops ocellatus) while spearfishing, but they're only legal to catch with rod and reel, so I've never gotten one. I went surf fishing (standing on the beach, casting into the surf) this past weekend with my coworker and friend Steve, and among the fish we caught was this Red Drum.



I also caught a spiny puffer (Diodon sp.), and Steve caught a red drum and these three Florida Pampano (Trachinotus carolinus) below. I also went spearfishing this weekend, and shot a sheepshead, but it's cold and a little bit slow this time of year, so I think I'll try to do more fishing with rod and reel.

4 comments:

ben said...

How did you like your red drum?

Kelly said...

It's in my freezer waiting to be eaten at a get together that's coming up. I've made fish curry with roasted chestnuts and other good stuff with a red drum that someone else caught, and it was good, so I assume mine will taste good as well.

ben said...

Sounds good!

Kelly said...

As an update, all of the fish pictured above were eaten with great delight and tasted great!