6.30.2010

Milkweeds!

I've always enjoyed milkweeds. I remember breaking off the developing seed pods as a child and seeing the white, milky sap flowing from the break. Because I really enjoyed butterflies while growing up in Minnesota, making the connection between milkweeds and Monarch Butterflies (Danaus plexippus) solidified milkweeds' place in my mind as a noteworthy type of plant. The following species are ones I've found around where I live and work in the Western Florida panhandle.







Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa)





Clasping Milkweed (Asclepias amplexicaulis)





Longleaf Milkweed (Asclepias longifolia)





Largeflower Milkweed (Asclepias connivens)





Whorled Milkweed (Asclepias verticillata)





Pineland Milkweed (Asclepias obovata)




Carolina Milkweed (Asclepias cinerea)



Pinewoods milkweed (Asclepias humistrata)



Michaux's milkweed (Asclepias michauxii)



Savannah milkweed (Asclepias pedicellata)

No comments: